Cheeseburn Grange, Northumberland
Cheeseburn Grange, a township in Stamfordham parish, Northumberland, near the Roman wall, 9½ miles WNW of Newcastle, and 6 from Wylam railway station. Post town, Newcastle-upon-Tyne; money order and telegraph office, Stamfordham. Acreage, 819; population, 86. Cheesebum Grange Hall, the residence of the Riddell family, has a Roman Catholic chapel adjoining it, dedicated to St Francis Xavier, which contains a fine painting representing the 'l Descent from the Cross."
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Castle ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cheeseburn Grange from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cheeseburn-Grange)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Cheeseburn Grange are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: