Chatton, a township, a village, and a parish in Northumberland, on the river Till, 5 miles E of Wooler, and 4½ from Ilderton station on a branch of the N.E. R. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Belford. Acreage, 17,335; population, 1145. The parish comprises Cold-martin, Fowberry, Hazelrigg, Hetton, Hetton House, Horton, the township of Weetwood and the hamlet of Lyham. There are several limestone quarries in the vicinity. Fowberry Tower, standing in a park of 150 acres, is the seat of the Culley family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £3 61 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland, who is also lord of the manor and chief landowner. Tho church is very good. There is also a Presbyterian chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chatton Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Glendale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chatton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chatton (Holy Cross))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Chatton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: