Cambois, a township and an ecclesiastical parish formed from that of Bedlington, in Northumberland. The township lies on the coast, between the mouths of the two rivers Blyth and Wansbeck, nearly 2½ miles N by W of Blyth, which is the railway station. The parish was constituted in 1863, and embraces the townships of East and West Sleekburn, and is bounded on the south by the river Blyth, and on the north by the river Wansbeck, each of such boundary being about two miles long. It has a post and money order office under Blyth. Population, 3836. The church was erected in 1865. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Newcastle. Brown, the landscape gardener, was a native. One of the largest collieries in the north of England is situated here, and there are large brickworks. There are two Methodist chapels and a mechanics' institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cambois from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cambois)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Cambois are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: