Cambo, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish formed from that of Hartburn, in Northumberland. The township lies near an affluent of the river Wansbeck, 1 mile from Scot's Gap station, 11 miles SE by S of Otterburn, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Acreage of township, 691; population, 70; of ecclesiastical parish, 479. The parish is much more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1844. The lord of the manor is the chief landowner. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £208 with residence. Patron, Sir G. O. Trevelyan. The church is good. There are large freestone quarries, a reading-room, and a subscription library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cambo from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cambo)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Cambo are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: