Bywell St Peter, Northumberland
Bywell-St-Peter, a township and a parish in Northumberland. The township includes part of Bywell village. The parish includes also the townships of East Acomb, westward to Broomley, and extends southward to the West Auckland turnpike road. Post town, Stocksfield (R.S.O., Northumberland). Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 674. Much of the land in the south is high and poor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Northumberland. The church has a low square tower of the 14th century, evidently added and constructed with a view to warlike defence. It was thoroughly restored in 1873.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bywell St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bywell St Peter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bywell (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: