Bywell St Andrew, Northumberland
Bywell-St-Andrew, a township and a parish in Northumberland. The township includes part of Bywell village. The parish includes also the townships of Stocksfield Hall,. Riding, Bearl, Styford, and Broomhaugh, lies along the river Tyne and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, and contains the railway stations of Stocksfield and Riding Mill, and the post offices of Stocksfield and Riding Mill. Acreage of the civil parish of Bywell, 1598 of land and 48 of watery population, 203; of the ecclesiastical parish, with Riding Mills, 673. The Beaumont family are lords of the manor and sole landowners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £120 with residence. The church has a lofty western tower, and was restored it 1858 and enlarged in 1870
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bywell St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bywell St Andrew from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bywell (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: