Bywell, a village in the townships of Bywell-St-Andrew and Bywell-St-Peter, Northumberland, on the river Tyne, adjacent to Stocksfield railway station, 7½ miles E of Hexham, and contains the two ancient parish churches of St Andrew and St Peter. A weir with a fall of about 10 feet goes across the river below; and a bridge, built at the cost of £17,000, spans the river. A Roman bridge crossed the Tyne here. Bywell Hall, a seat of the Beaumont family, and the ruins of an ancient castle of the Baliols and Nevilles, built in the 15th century, are in the vicinity. The surrounding manor belonged to the Baliols, passed to the Nevilles and the Fenwicks, and belongs now to the Beaumont family.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: