Broomhaugh, a township in Bywell-St-Andrew parish, Northumberland, on the river Tyne, adjacent to the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, 3½ miles ESE of Corbridge. Riding Mill (R.S.O.) is the post, money order, and telegraph office, also the railway station. Acreage, 830; population, 234. Broomhaugh was a Roman settlement. There is a chapel of ease and a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Bywell St Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broomhaugh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Broomhaugh)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Broomhaugh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: