Branxton, a township, a village, and a parish in Northumberland, near the river Till, 2½ miles ESE of Coldstream railway station, and 9 NW by N of Wooler. There is a post office under Cornhill (R.S.O.) Acreage of township, 1508; population, 222. Here is the field of the battle of Flodden, fatal to James IV. of Scotland, fought in 1513. [See FLODDEN.] The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle-on-Tyne; net value, £320 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is good but small. Stockdale the poet was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Glendale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Branxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Branxton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Branxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: