UK Genealogy Archives logo

Branton, Northumberland

Historical Description

Branton, a township in Eglingham parish, Northumberland, on the river Breamish, 9½ miles SSE of Wooler, and li mile from Hedgeley station on the N.E.R. Alnwick is the post town. Acreage, 1175; population, 77. There is a Presbyterian chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishEglingham 
Poor Law unionGlendale 
WardCoquetdale 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Branton from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Branton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE66
Post TownAlnwick