Bolton, a township in Edlingham parish, Northumberland, on the river Aln, about 5¼ miles from Alnwick. The railway station is at Glanton, 1½ mile distant. Post town, Alnwick; money order and telegraph office, Glanton. Acreage, 2060; population, 119. The Earl of Surrey mustered his forces here before the battle of Flodden. An hospital for lepers was founded here about 1225, by Robert de Roos, and became the property of the Collingwoods. Some remains of antiquity have been found. The church is a chapel of ease, under Edlingham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bolton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bolton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Bolton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: