Blenkinsopp, a township in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland, about 2 miles from Haltwhistle station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway. It has a post office at Greenhead. Acreage, 2487; population, 694. The castle is the ruin of a strong square tower, erected in 1339, the ancient seat of the Blenkinsopps, noted for their Border feuds, and Blenkinsopp Hall is now the property of the Joicey family, who are the chief landowners. A Roman altar was found in 1720, and an inscription to Ceres in 1816. Coal is worked.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blenkinsopp from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Blenkinsopp)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: