Birtley, a village and a parish in Northumberland, on the North Tyne river and on the North British railway, near Wark station, 5 miles SE of Bellingham. The parish includes the township of Broomhope with Buteland, and it has a post office under Wark (R.S.O.), which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 6980; population of the civil parish, 387; of the ecclesiastical, 474. Coal and other useful minerals occur. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £200. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland, who is also lord of the manor and chief landowner. The church is ancient, and was enlarged by the addition of a tower and spire in 1883, and restored in 1884. There is a literary institute.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Bellingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Birtley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Birtley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Birtley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: