Bingfield, a township, formed with St Oswald-in-Lee in 1879 into a district chapelry, in Northumberland, on Wathng Street and on the river Erringburn, 5½ miles N by W of Corbridge, which is the post town (R.S.O.), money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 2082; population, 70. The living is a curacy annexed to that of St Oswald-in-Lee.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bingfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bingfield)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Bingfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: