Bellister, a township in Haltwhistle parish, Northumberland, which includes the small village of Park and the hamlet of Wydon, on the South Tyne, near the Newcastle and Carlisle and the Alston railways, 2 miles S of Haltwhistle, which is the post town. Acreage, 1071; population, 137. Bellister Castle, a border tower, now a ruin, was the seat of the Blenkinsops, and ia now used as a farmhouse. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Haltwhistle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bellister from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bellester)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: