Beanley, a township in Eglingham parish, Northumberland, on the river Breamish, 7 miles NW of Alnwick, which is the post town. Acreage, 2323; population, 103. The nearest station is Hedgeley on the N.E.B. The Earls of Dunbar anciently held it on the tenure of maintaining a road into Scotland. The remains of a British camp arc still to be seen here, and a cross stands on Hedgeley Moor, at a short distance from the village, erected to the memory of Sir Ralph Percy, who fell in 1464 in a battle with the Yorkists. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor and sole landowner.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Beanley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Beanley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Beanley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: