Barrasford, a township in Chollerton parish, Northumberland, on the North Tyne river, and on the Border Counties railway, 7¼ miles NNW of Hexham. It has a station on the North British Railway, and has a post and money order office, R.S.O. (Northumberland). The right of a weekly market for il was obtained by Robert de Umfraville from Edward I., but has long been in abeyance.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Hexham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barrasford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Barrasford)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Barrasford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: