Bambrough or Bamburgh, a village, a township, a parish, and a ward in Northumberland. The village stands on the coast, 2½ miles NE of Lucker railway station, and 4 E by N of Belford station, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Belford. It was a seat of the kings of Northumbria; bore originally the name of Baebbanburg or Bebbanburg, signifying Queen Bebba's town; was afterwards a market-town and a royal burgh, sending two members to Parliament; gave name to an extensive district around it, called Bambroughshire; and had churches of St Oswald and St Aidan, a cell of Augustinian canons, a house of Black-friars, a college, and an hospital. It now possesses none of its ancient characters, but has become a retired, pleasant, favourite summer resort for sea-bathing. The township includes also a place called Fowberry. Acreage, 1205 of land and 263 of foreshore; population, 364; of the ecclesiastical parish, 934. The parish contains likewise the townships of Bamburgh-Castle, Budle, Glororum, Burton, Shorstone or Shoreston, Bradford, Spindlestone, and Outchester. The surface is varied, and is rich in geological, antiquarian, and modern interest. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £229 with residence. Patrons, the trustees of Bishop Lord Crewe. The church is Early English and cruciform, with a western tower, and has ail unusually long chancel, with good modern stall-work, three sedilia, an ambry, and the effigies of a knight. In the churchyard are the graves of the heroine Grace Darling and her father. The ward is about 17 miles long and about 8 miles broad, and consists of two divisions, North and South.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bambrough St. Aidan|
|Poor Law union||Belford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bamburgh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bambrough (St. Aidan))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Bamburgh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: