Backworth, or Blackworth, Northumberland
Backworth, or Blackworth, a township and colliery village in Earsdon parish, Northumberland, on the Morpeth and Tynemouth railway, 4½ miles NW of North Shields. It has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Newcastle-on-Tyne. Acreage, 1588; population, 2240. The manor belonged anciently to the priory of Tynemouth, and belongs now to the Duke of Northumberland. A coal mine here produces the Northumberland Wallsend" or Earsdon Main coal.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tynemouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Backworth, or Blackworth from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Backworth)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: