Ashington and Sheepwash, Northumberland
Ashington and Sheepwash, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Bothal parish, Northumberland, on the river Wansbeck, 4 miles E of Morpeth. It has a station on the Biyth and Tyne section of the N.E. R.; a post, money order, and telegraph office under Morpeth, and two banks. Acreage, 666; population of the township, 141; of the ecclesiastical parish, 5331. The church, built in 1887, is in the Early English and Norman styles. The living Is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; value, £255, in the gift of the Bishop of Newcastle. There is a school here. In 1893 the first stone was laid of a new village, near the railway station, which it is intended to create primarily for the workmen and their families, many hundreds in number, who are unable to find house room in the colliery village of Ashington. The site is 130 feet above the sea level, and overlies a bed of freestone. Sites for streets of cottages, terraces, and business premises have been laid out, and a system of sewerage and water supply has been designed.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Morpeth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashington and Sheepwash from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ashington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: