Amble with Hauxley, Northumberland
Amble, with Hauxley, a parish in Northumberland, on the coast, with a station on the N.E.R., 1½ mile SSE of Warkworth. It comprises the townships of Amble, Hauxley, Gloster Hill, and part of Togston. The village of Amble is well-built, and chiefly modern, and is governed by a local board; it has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Acklington, Congregational, Wesleyan, and Roman Catholic chapels, a cemetery, and extensive coal-mines, and a considerable shipping trade in coal and brick is carried on. During the season many boats are engaged in the herring fishery. Acreage, 1216 of land and 228 of water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 2975; of the ecclesiastical, with Hauxley, 4257. The Church of St Cuthbert, in the Early Decorated style, was consecrated in 1870. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle; value, £230 with residence, alternately in the gift of the Crown and the Bishop of Newcastle.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Amble with Hauxley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: