UK Genealogy Archives logo

Alnmouth, Northumberland

Historical Description

Alnmouth, a seaport village, a township, and a parish in Northumberland. The village stands on a small bay at the mouth of the river Aine, 1 mile E of Ainmouth railway station, and 5 ESE of Alnwick. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) Its harbour admits vessels of from 50 to 150 tons, and is used for coasting trade. A chapel anciently stood adjacent on an eminence near the shore, and a burying-ground in connection with it was in use till about the year 1815, but has been washed away by the sea. Area of townsllip, 283 acres of land and 250 of water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 593; of the ecclesiastical, 607. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £150. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland. The church was built in 1876, and there is a Wesleyan chapel, and a reading-room and library. It is a coastguard station, and the National Lifeboat Institution stationed a lifeboat here in 1888.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyNorthumberland 
Civil parishLesbury 
Poor Law unionAlnwick 
WardBambrough 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Alnmouth from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Alnmouth are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online:

CountyNorthumberland
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE66
Post TownAlnwick