Acklington, a township and a parish in Northumberland. The township lies on the N.E.R. and the river Coquet, 12 miles N of Morpeth, and has a station on the railway, and a head post office. The parish also comprises the townships of Acklington- Park and Guyzance, and the hamlet of Brains-haugh. Acreage, 2122; population of the civil parish, 235; of the ecclesiastical, 474. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Newcastle; net value, £225 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Northumberland, who is also lord of the manor and sole landowner. The church is in the Early English style, and was erected in 1861, after designs by Deason, at the Duke of Northumberland's expense.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alnwick|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Acklington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Acklington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Northumberland is available to browse.
Online maps of Acklington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers related to Northumberland online: