Wettenhall, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Over parish, Cheshire, 2½ miles NNE of Calveley station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 E by S of Tarporley. There is a post office under Winsford (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Winsford. Acreage, 1976; population, 182. Wettenhall Hall was the seat of the Wettenhall family, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester; net value, £111. Patron, the Vicar of Over. The present church was erected in 1870. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Nantwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wettenhall from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wettenhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.