Weaverham, a village, a township, and a parish in Cheshire. The village stands near the river Weaver, 1 mile E by S of Acton Bridge station on the L. & N.W.R., and 3½ miles W by N of Northwich, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Northwich. The township includes a small part of Whitegate parish, contains Milton hamlet, and comprises 3623 acres; population, 1761. For parish council purposes Weaverham, Gorstage, and Sandiway are joined, and have a council of thirteen members. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the townships of Acton, Cuddington, Wallerscoat, and part of Hartford. Population, 2660. There is a bridge over the Weaver at Acton Bridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church, dedicated to St Mary, was rebuilt in the time of James I., and was partially restored in 1855 and 1877. It has two chapels, one belonging to Hefferston Grange, and the other to Delamere House. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels, and an endowed grammar school.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Weaverham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Northwich|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Weaverham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Weaverham (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Weaverham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.