Upton in Overchurch, Cheshire
Upton (or properly Overchurch), a village and a parish in Cheshire. The village stands 4 miles W of Birkenhead, was once a market-town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Birkenhead. The parish comprises 943 acres; population, 687. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Upton Manor is the chief residence. Upton Hall is now a Roman Catholic convent The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £156 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1869.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upton in Overchurch from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Upton in Overchurch are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.