Tranmere, a township and three ecclesiastical parishes in Bebington parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the Mersey, near Green Lane station on the Mersey railway, from 2 to 3 miles S of Birkenhead, and within Birkenhead borough, of which it is a suburb. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) at Lower Tranmere, under Birkenhead. Acreage, 1071 of land with 171 of adjacent tidal water, and 147 of foreshore; population, 30,680. Tranmere Pool, a creek of the Mersey, separates it from Birkenhead proper. A bridge over the pool connects the suburb with the town, or Tranmere ferry with Birkenhead ferry, and steamers maintain constant communication with Liverpool. Tranmere Hall is an ancient edifice, commanding a fine view of the Mersey, and Tranmere Old Hall is now a farmhouse. Shipbuilding and ironfounding are carried on. Mersey Park in Higher Tranmere has an area of 39 acres, and was opened in 1885. The ecclesiastical parishes are St Catherine, Higher Tranmere (constituted 1831), population, 10,631; St Paul, South Tranmere (constituted 1868), 12,530; and St Luke, Lower Tranmere constituted 1883), 4096. The livings are vicarages in the diocese of Chester; gross value of St Catherine, £360 with residence; of St Paul, £275; and of St Luke, £266. Patron of St Catherine's, the Rector of Bebington; of St Paul's, Trustees; and of St Luke's, the Vicar of St Catherine. Sk Catherine's Church was built in 1831, and is a cruciform building in the Early Decorated style. St Paul's Church was built in 1856. There are Baptist, Congregational, Presbyterian, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tranmere from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.