Timperley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Cheshire. The township stands 1 mile W of Timperley station on the Manchester, South Junction, and Altrincham railway, and 1½ ENE of Altrincham. It contains a small village and numerous villas, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Altrincham. Acreage, 1638; population of township, 2461; of the ecclesiastical parish, 3128. There is a parish council consisting of thirteen members. Timperley Lodge, Timperley Hall, and Pickering Lodge are chief residences. Market gardening is largely carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £330 with residence. The church was built in 1849, and enlarged in 1865. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Altrincham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
Transcript of the description from Pigot & Co. Directory of Cheshire, 1828-9
We have transcribed the entry for Timperley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.