Tilstone Fearnall, Cheshire
Tilstone Fearnall, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Bunbury parish, Cheshire. The township lies on the Shropshire Union Canal, 1¼ mile NE of Beeston Castle station on the L. & N.W.R., and 2 miles SSE of Tarporley. Post town, Tarporley; money order and telegraph office, Alpraham. Acreage, 889; population, 202. Tilstone Lodge is the chief residence. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1837, and includes also the townships of Alpraham and Tiverton. Population, 1120. The manors belong to Lord Tollemache. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester; gross value, £127 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church was built in 1836. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Nantwich|
|Registration district||Chester||1892 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tilstone Fearnall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tilston-Fernall)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tilstone Fearnall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.