Thornton Hough, Cheshire
Thornton Hough or Thornton Mayow, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Great Neston and Bromborough parishes, Cheshire, 3 miles W by S of Bromborough station on the Birkenhead railway, and 2½ NNE of Great Neston, with a post and money order office under Chester; telegraph office, Great Neston. The township comprises 1535 acres; population, 487. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1869, and includes the townships of Raby and Brimstage. Population, 1069. There are several good residences of Liverpool merchants. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, .6285 with residence. The church was built in 1868. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Wirrall|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornton Hough from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thornton-Mayow)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.