Thelwall, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Runcorn parish, Cheshire, on the river Mersey, the Bridgwater Canal, and the Manchester Ship Canal, 3 miles E by S of Warrington Thelwall is one of the oldest places in England, and was a royal city founded by Edward the Elder in 920. It has a station on the Warrington and Stockport section of the L. & N.W.R., and a post and money order office under Warrington; telegraph office, Grappenhall. The township comprises 1258 acres; population, 770. At the census the population was considerably increased temporarily by a colony of navvies at work in connection with the Manchester Ship Canal. The usual population is about 500 Greenfield, Massey Hall, Highfields, the Grange, and Thelwall Hall are chief residences. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1870. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester; net value, £120 with residence. The church, in the Early English style, is dedicated to All Saints. The nave was built in 1843 and the chancel in 1857 in place of an old manorial chapel built in the time of Elizabeth. The N aisle, vestry, and porch were added in 1890-91.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Warrington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thelwall from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.