West Firle, Sussex
Firle, West, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands under Firle Beacon, 1½ mile SE of Glynde station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 4½ miles SE by E of Lewes, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office of the name of Firle, under Lewes. The parish comprises 3429 acres; population of the civil parish, 530; of the ecclesiastical, with Beddingham, 984. Firle Place, a Tudor mansion, is the seat of Viscount Gage. Firle Beacon rises behind the residence, and commands a fine view of the coast. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Beddingham, in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £205 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop and Dean and Chapter of Chichester alternately. The church has six brasses of the Gages from 1569 onward, has also some other monuments, and is very good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Firle St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||West Firle|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Firle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Firle, West (St. Peter))
Online maps of West Firle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: