UK Genealogy Archives logo

Warbleton, Sussex

Historical Description

Warbleton, a parish in Sussex, 6¼ miles N by E of Hailsham, and 2 from Horeham Road and Waldon station on the L.B. & S.C.R., with a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 6226; population of the civil parish, 1381; of the ecclesiastical, 1007. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belongs to the Earls of Ashburnham and Chichester, and the Trustees of Smith's charity. Stone House and Markly are the chief residences. An Augustinian canonry was founded here in 1413 by Sir J. Pelham, and now forms part of a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £460 with residence. The church is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, and contains some monuments to the Darby family and others.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySussex 
Ecclesiastical parishWarbleton St. Mary 
HundredHawkesborough 
Poor Law unionHailsham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Warbleton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Warbleton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online:

DistrictWealden
CountyEast Sussex
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtTN21
Post TownHeathfield