Waldron, a parish in Sussex, 6 miles ESE of Uckfield station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It contains Cross-in-Hand, which has an inn and two fairs. It has a post and money order office under Waldron Street and Cross-in-Hand; telegraph office, Waldron and Cross-in-Hand. Acreage, 6243; population, 1431. There is a parish council consisting of ten members. The manors belong to the Earl of Chichester and the Huth family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £325 with residence. Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, and has been restored. There are Wesleyan and Baptist chapels, and a chapel of ease at Cross-in-Hand.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Waldron All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Uckfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Waldron from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Waldron (All Saints))
Online maps of Waldron are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: