Wadhurst, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village has a station on the S.E.R., 39 miles from London, and 6¼ SE of Tunbridge Wells, and a post, money order, and telegraph office, a public library with reading-room, a weekly market, and fairs on 29 April and 1 Nov. The parish includes part of Tidebrook chapelry, and comprises 10,213 acres; population of the civil parish, 3354; of the ecclesiastical, 2767. Wadhurst Place, South Park, Wadhurst Park, and Buckhurst Lodge are the chief residences. Excellent sandstone is quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £265 with residence. Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is ancient, has been restored, and has a lofty spire. The vicarage of Tidebrook is a separate benefice. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Free Methodist chapels. The Mount, situated on an eminence, is a novitiate house of the Fathers of Charity, opened in 1881. The building is of brick, and is surrounded by gardens, with park-like grounds of about 140 acres.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wadhurst St. Peter and St. Paul|
|Poor Law union||Ticehurst|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wadhurst from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Wadhurst (St. Peter and St. Paul))
Online maps of Wadhurst are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: