Westbourne, a village, a parish, and a hundred, in Sussex. The village stands 1 mile N of Emsworth station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 2½ miles ENE of Havant; was once a trading town, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Emsworth. The parish includes five tithings; comprises 4423 acres of land and 561 of water and foreshore; population of the civil parish, 2409; of the ecclesiastical, 1302. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. Much of the land belongs to the Earl of Dartmouth, who is lord of the manor, and Lord Leconfield. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £255 with residence. The church is an ancient edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, with an embattled western tower, and contains numerous memorials and monuments; the building has been well restored. There is a convalescent home for ten women in the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Bourne St. John the Baptist|
|Hundred||Westbourne and Singleton|
|Poor Law union||Westbourne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Westbourne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bourne, West (St. John the Baptist))
Online maps of Westbourne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: