Tatton, a township in Rostherne parish, Cheshire, 2 miles N of Knutsford. Acreage, 1890; population, 149. The manor belonged to the Tatton family, and passed through the Masseys, Stanleys, and Breretons to Sir Thomas Egerton, Lord Chancellor. Tatton Park, the seat of Lord Egerton of Tatton, is a fine mansion in the Classic style, erected in the time of Charles II., and enlarged and cased with stone at the beginning of the 19th century from the designs of the architect Wyatt, and subsequently in 1860 and in 1885 by Sir A. Blomfield. The park is one of the largest in the county, and contains large herds of deer.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Altrincham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tatton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.