West Itchenor, Sussex
Itchenor, West, a parish in Sussex, on Chichester Harbour, 4 miles SW of Chichester station on the L.B. & S.C.R. Post town, Chichester; money order and telegraph office, Birdham. The parish comprises 545 acres of land and 274 of water; population, 115. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; value, £100 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Early English, and has a wooden belfry.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Itchenor St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||West Hampnett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Itchenor from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Itchenor, or Ichenor, West (St. Nicholas))
Online maps of West Itchenor are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: