West Dean (Chichester), Sussex
Dean, West, or Westdean, a parish in West Sussex, on the river Lavant, about ½ mile from Singleton station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It includes the tithing of Chilgrove, and has a post office under Chichester; money order and telegraph office, Singleton. Acreage, 4802; population of the civil parish, 611; of the ecclesiastical, 721. In the neighbourhood is an extensive natural basm in the chalk formation, which has beea turned into an arboretum, including several acres of rhododendrons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; value, £220. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chichester. The church is cruciform, of no great antiquity, and has a large monument of the Lewknor family in the chancel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Dean St. Andrew|
|Hundred||Westbourne and Singleton|
|Poor Law union||Westbourne|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Dean (Chichester) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Dean, West (St. Andrew))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: