Tattenhall, a village, a township, and a parish, in Cheshire. The village stands 8 miles SE of Chester. It has a station on the Chester and Shrewsbury section of the L. & N.W.R., and another about a mile NE, called Tattenhall Road, on the Chester and Crewe section, and a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chester. It contains many good residences, and has a library and reading-rooms, and fairs on 18 May and 21 Nov. The township comprises 2925 acres; population, 975. The parish includes also the townships of Golborne, Bellow, and Newton-by-Tattenhall, and comprises 4154 acres; population, 1173. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester; net value, £247 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1870. There are Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tattenhall St. Alban|
|Poor Law union||Great Boughton|
|Registration district||Great Boughton||1837 - 1869|
|Registration district||Chester||1870 - 1937|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tattenhall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tattenhall (St. Alban))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Tattenhall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:
The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.