UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tarvin, Cheshire

Historical Description

Tarvin, a village, a township, a parish, and the head of a poor law union in Cheshire. The village stands 2 miles ESE of Barrow station on the Cheshire Lines railway, 4½ NW of Tarporley, and 5½ E of Chester; was once a market town; and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chester. The public hall, erected in 1889, contains a large room, used for concerts, &c. The township includes Oscroft hamlet, and comprises 2044 acres; population, 1193. The parish contains also the townships of Bruen Stapleford, Barton, Clotton Hoofield, Daddon, Hockenhull, and Kelsall. Acreage, 6943; population of the civil parish, 2655; of the ecclesiastical, with Pryors Hayes (formerly extra-parochial), 2680. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester; net value, £142 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is Decorated and Perpendicular, and was restored in 1876 and 1892. It consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, the Bruen chapel, and a fine tower. The chancel has good oak carving and a brass of 1584 to Henry Hardware, twice mayor of Chester. There are chapels of ease at Duddon and Kelsall, and Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCheshire 
Ecclesiastical parishTarvin St. Andrew 
HundredBroxton 
Poor Law unionGreat Boughton 
Registration districtGreat Boughton1837 - 1869
Registration districtChester1870 - 1937

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tarvin from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Cheshire is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Tarvin are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cheshire papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Cheshire, 1580 is available on the Heraldry page.

CountyCheshire West and Chester
RegionNorth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtCH3
Post TownChester