Trotton, a parish, with a village, in Sussex, 1 mile NE of Elsted station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3 miles W by N of Midhurst. Post town, Petersfield. Acreage, 3594; population of the civil parish, 451; of the ecclesiastical, 353. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; gross value, £200 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1400, and is a stone edifice with a massive tower and spire. It contains some most interesting brasses and monuments. The poet Otway was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Trotton St. George|
|Poor Law union||Midhurst|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Trotton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Trotton (St. George))
Online maps of Trotton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: