Treyford, a parish in Sussex, 1 mile SSE of Elsted station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 miles WSW of Midhurst. Post town, Petersfield. Acreage, 1273; population, 114. The manor was given after the Norman Conquest to Earl Montgomery, and passed to Newton Abbey, W. Aylwin, Sir J. Peachey, Lord Selsey, and others. The living is annexed to Elsted. The old church is disused; a new one was built in 1849, and is a handsome building in the Decorated style, with a lofty tower and spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Midhurst|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Treyford from the following:
Online maps of Treyford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: