Thakeham, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands on rising-ground, 5 miles from Billinghurst station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post office under Pulborough; money order and telegraph office, Storrington. The parish includes Greenhurst hamlet, and the detached tracts of Muttons Farm and Spear Hill, and contains the district workhouse. Acreage, 2941; population of the civil parish, 486; of the ecclesiastical, 494. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £435 with residence. The church is partly Early English.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thakeham St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Thakeham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thakeham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thakeham (St. Mary))
Online maps of Thakeham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: