Tangmere, a parish in Sussex, 1½ mile N of Drayton station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 3 miles ENE of Chichester. Post town, Chichester. Acreage, 775; population, 164. Most of the land belongs to the Duke of Richmond. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £175 with residence. Patron, the Duke of Richmond. The church is mainly Early English, and was restored in 1885.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tangmere St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||West Hampnett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tangmere from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Tangmere (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Tangmere are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: