Southease, a parish in Sussex, on the river Ouse, 3 miles from Newhaven station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 3½ S of Lewes. Post town, Lewes; money order and telegraph office, Newhaven. Acreage, 850; population, 66. An iron swing bridge was erected over the Ouse in 1880. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; gross value, £210 with residence. The church is ancient and Norman, but probably built on the site of a still more ancient structure. There is a stone arch in the S wall of the chancel, which has been blocked up and a window inserted, also the foundation of a chantry with "corner" stone outside the N wall of chancel; at the W end is a round belfry tower which existed before the present nave and chancel were built. It has a shingled spire. The church was repaired in 1881.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newhaven|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southease from the following:
Online maps of Southease are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: