South Malling, Sussex
Malling, South, a parish in Sussex, on the river Ouse, partly within Lewes borough, on the N side of Lewes, and half a mile from Lewes station on the L.B. & S.C.R. Post town, Lewes. Acreage, 2545; population, 743. A collegiate establishment for a dean, a chancellor, a precentor, a penitentiary, a sacristan, and a clerk, all prebendaries, anciently stood here, was given at the dissolution to Sir Thomas Palmer, and came to be represented by a mansion called the Deanery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; value, £230 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1628, succeeded one of the 7th century founded by Ceadwalla, king of the West Saxons, was repaired in 1874, and contains an altar-tomb to Sir W. Kemp.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Malling St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Lewes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Malling from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Malling, South (St. Michael))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: