Sutton, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands 3 miles S of Petworth station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It has a post and money order office under Pulborough; telegraph office, Petworth railway station. Acreage of the civil parish, 2068; population, 325; of the ecclesiastical, 484. The manor belonged in the Saxon times to the Crown; went, after the Norman Conquest, to Earl Montgomery, and belongs now to Lord Leconfield. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; value, £180 with residence. Patron, Lord Leconfield. The church is Early, Decorated, and Later English.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sutton St. John|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sutton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sutton (St. John))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: