Southwick, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands on the coast, with a station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 54 miles from London, and 2 E of Shoreham. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Brighton. The parish contains also Fishergate hamlet, and comprises 1041 acres; population, 2564. A ship canal, 2 miles in length, to receive vessels of 650 tons burden, extends from Shoreham harbour to Aldrington parish, and trade is carried on in coals, corn, and timber. The Sailors' Institute was erected in 1889. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; value, £150 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a building of flint. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Southwick St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Steyning|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Southwick (St. Michael))
Online maps of Southwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: