UK Genealogy Archives logo

Singleton, Sussex

Historical Description

Singleton, a parish in Sussex, among the South Downs, with a station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 66 miles from London. It includes Charlton hamlet, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Chichester. Acreage, 4063; population, 579. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The manor belonged to Earl Godwin, passed to the Earls of Arundel, and belongs now to the Duke of Richmond and Gordon. Molecombe House is the residence of the Earl of March. The parish was, in the 17th century, a noted resort of royalty and nobles for hunting, and contains Goodwood racecourse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; gross value, £84 with re'sidence. Patron, the Duke of Richmond. and Gordon. The church is Later English, with a Norman tower, and has been well restored.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySussex 
HundredWestbourn and Singleton 
Poor Law unionWest Hampnett 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Singleton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Singleton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online:

DistrictChichester
CountyWest Sussex
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtPO18
Post TownChichester